So, if you want to keep it after the holidays, then you’ll only have to replace one or two bits as they start to wilt….
Designs like this which group the flower material together look very luxurious – which is especially appropriate at Christmas. Rosemary gives the design a distinctive Christmas scent and the reds and greens together lend the centrepiece a very festive feel.
You will need:
- 12-inch posy pad
- Blue Spruce
- Ivy trails
- Flat moss
- Pussy Willow
- Kermit Santini
- Ilex Verticillata
- Red Stillingia
- Heavy-duty wire
- Cover the posy pad with flat moss, secured with hairpin-shaped pieces of wire or long German pins.
- Then edge the posy pad with the blue spruce. Make sure you clean the stems of the spruce going into the foam; this gives a better grip and makes them easier to insert.
- Attach the bigger, heavier items first, such as the apples and baubles, keeping them to the centre for visual balance. The fruits are inserted securely into the foam with sticks, the cones and baubles with heavy gauge wire.
- Then add texture and interest to the moss base with the ivy stems.
- Use a knife to make incisions into the foam before adding the gerberas (it stops them from snapping). It isn’t necessary to wire down the gerberas as they are being used low down in the foam.
- Attach the rest of the material to create colour and texture in the design.
- Be creative.
Thanks go to Coombe Abbey Hotel, a member of the ‘No Ordinary Hotel’ group, for their hospitality and allowing us to use their facilities.
Coombe Abbey Hotel, Bricklow Road, Binley, Coventry, CV3 2AB
Tel: 02476 450 450
You can get our blog posts delivered for free by email - simply add your email address to the box below or alternatively grab the RSS feed.
Don't forget to follow Interflora on Twitter